Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Drown ★★✩✩✩




Title: Drown

Author: Alex Jones

Genre: m/m romance

Print length: 352 pages

Publication date: August 15, 2012

Rating: Two Stars

Blurb: Dom Sal is the star quarterback of his high school football team. His charming, earnest personality has girls tripping over themselves to be with him. Everyone knows his family lives in the St. Michael Charity Housing, but all that matters is how many touchdowns he can score. And Dom never lets them down. No one knows he hides a secret--he dreams about men.

Damion Adrik is the school freak. His gothic style and cold, biting sarcasm keep everyone at arm's length. His all-too-perfect family is a prison cell, and he's slowly destroying himself from the inside out. No one knows he has secrets of his own and that he's tormented by the darkness he takes comfort in. No one truly sees him, until Dom.

When these two worlds collide and the spark of attraction pulls Dom and Damion together, both boys are faced with choices that will break their realities in two. While conflict with parents and peers drives them closer together, their inner battles threaten to destroy the relationship they fight so desperately to keep. In the end, they must choose whether to be true to themselves, and each other, or to drown in the lives they built before.

Review:
There's nothing I dislike more then feeling like the writer wrote a book on a paper napkin, then decided to publish it. I find it hard to believe this book was re-read once by the writer before it became available to public. Revision is your friend! The jock/outcast idea is sellable, we're all aware of that. I can think of two other novels with the same plot lines that were done much, much better. Just the fact that this book sold is a testament of how appealing this story idea is to the readers of this genre. However, I feel like no effort was put into this whatsoever. Two stars for getting me to buy it in the first place. I guess that has to count for something.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, why do you think this book was written so poorly? You do not say if its sentence structure, inconsistency in the story or other issues....you just mention that you did not like it and that it needs review. I thought the story was entertaining but I am a "new" reader and I guess I am looking at books more for entertainment. I must admit I did get a bit tired of the "emo" character and I also thought that the development of the jock's character was not fully developed and he probably had an interesting story to tell as well ....imagine being a top athlete with university prospects, coming out as gay having a strange mother and violent dad....then an "emo" boyfriend? so that issue was not really developed I dont think

    ReplyDelete